PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2008, 12:05
malcolmyoung90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SR71,
Post #242

"Impact Erebus" will set you back £95 on Amazon.co.uk!

"The Erebus Papers" will set you back £86 on Amazon.co.uk!
and

Ampan,
Post #243

Mahon's report is probably out of print by now, but there are several copies available at the Auckland Public Library. They also have the transcript of the evidence given at the hearing (but not the documents).

There is also a useful book called "The Erebus Papers" (Stuart Macfarlane - Avon Press - 1991). It has decent photographic reproductions of many of the documents and also has extracts from the transcript of evidence. Unfortunately, the book also has the opinions of the lawyer who wrote it. Bit if those are ignored, it is very helpful.

Incidentally, if ALPA are going to do are proper job on the proposed website, why don't they dig up everything, scan it, and put it on the site so that everyone has all the information?
I'm not sure what the difficulty is in obtaining all of the books and reports that have been written about the Erebus disaster. All of the books and reports that I mentioned (with the exception of the Readers Digest article) in my post #353 are redily available from second hand bookstores, particularly those in NZ. And there's no point paying 95 or 86 pounds for the books that you mentioned. I picked these up in the past few years for about A$15 (Verdict on Erebus) and The Erebus Papers was a little more expensive (but then it's 736 pages), probably around A$25 but $10 of that was on postage.

The internet is your friend, use it to its full capabilities. The best website that I've come across is abebooks.com. It lists all books available and you can search by location or by ascending order of cost, etc. I know for a fact that the Royal Commission Report is readily available on this website, it's just a matter of checking which country the bookstore is located, so you can balance out the cost of book and postage to determine what is cheaper.

In addition to the books and reports listed in my post #353, there are also another 2 books that I'm aware of (which I also have). These are "White Out" by Michael Guy (which describes the recovery operation and was published in 1980 prior to the Royal Commission); and "Flight 901 to Erebus" by Ken Hickson.

I picked up my last piece of the puzzle (in terms of published material) the other day, the Aircraft Accident Report No. 79-139 (ie the Chippendale Report), from a secondhand bookstore in NZ, for US$10 + postage. An added little unexpected bonus with this was an original letter, written and signed by Ron Chippendale (c/o Office of Air Accidents Investigation), addressed to the Officer in Charge of US Navy Detachment, Operation Deep Freeze at Chrsitchurch International Airport. A quick check on abebooks has just shown that there are 5 of this report for sale, for between US$24 and U$40, and I think all are from NZ bookstores.

For me, I'd rather always have the original material where it is availalble, rather than wait for an organisation to possibly put in on a (yet uncreated) website in a few months time.

But Ampan, there were over 3000 pages of evidence - would you honestly think ALPA would scan all of that? (if it's even available to them).