PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2008, 10:24
nickmanl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might be being pinickity but I really question whether all of Kent could be classed as a catchment area for Manston, considering some parts are 60+ miles from! Take Tunbridge Wells for example, Manston at 60 miles or Gatwick at 20 miles? I personally would not drive 60 miles to catch a flight if there was an airport 3 times closer!

I believe people are more willing to drive long distances to fly long haul. Take the example of Gatwick and the people from Gloucestershire or Devon. If you were flying long haul then this would be considering acceptable taking into account the lack of long haul service from nearby Bristol etc. However, would they be driving to get a flight to Spain when there are an abundance of Ryanair and easyJet services from nearby Bristol? Perhaps they did, but I'm just saying I personally don't think people would on the whole. Just my 2 cents!

Edit - out of boredom I have had a look at CAA publications regarding EUJet. Looking at the end of the document, some of the quotes from passengers from EUJet and whether they would use a small airline from a smaller airport before include -

“It would certainly influence using smaller companies again.”
“We think twice about using a smaller airline at a smaller airport.”
“Apart from this ruining the last couple of days of our holiday, we will seriously think hard
before booking flights through a small airline company”.
“We will seriously think hard before booking flights through a small airline company.”
“I will certainly think again before travelling with not-so-well established airlines.”

Perhaps the damage has been done for a new start up airline, unless an established carrier would be willing to have a go? The document also says 82% of EUJet's passengers came from Kent, perhaps putting to bed the claims Manston could operate as a viable London alternative?

Last edited by nickmanl; 21st Feb 2008 at 12:24.