PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD fury as Brown wields axe
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2008, 23:04
JessTheDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The NDA have an interesting and focussed role, they seem to be trying to establish themselves in a think-tank and lobbying role. Certainly a key stakeholder in this sort of thing.

Remember the British Armed Forces Federation as well. www.baff.org.uk BAFF has the intricate task of gaining acceptability as a representative organisation - "not a union!" - in some ways similar to the Police Federation. In my view - from what I have heard - much progress has been made, but not a bridge-burning organisation! Having said that, I would hope that BAFF would support the principle of a profile-raising march that seeks to tackle key defence welfare issues. Likewise for the RBL although the "Broken Covenant" campaign is a radical departure from the past.

Any march would need to have clear, concise but comprehensive aims. The aims would need to be as simple as possible, attainable and acceptable to all opinions - traditionalist as well as modern. Easier said than done, but there are plenty of brains around here!

I would suggest 4 key messages or aims, possibly along the following lines:

1. Accountability. Time for a Royal Commission to take apart and study defence, and to have proper Parliamentary scrutiny (RUSI have made a similar point). Personnel need representation as well ie. the BAFF initiative, which should be formally acknowledged.

2. Proper Funding and Equipment. Defence spending to be matched to commitments: no "just in time", no more "jam tomorrow": kit to be supplied when it is needed, not when enough bad headlines accrue.

3. Welfare Provision. Suitable affordable FMQs, appropriate compensation for the wounded, military wards for the wounded, a fair deal for dependents from local authorities, access to affordable housing and schools, medical and dental etc.

4. Veterans' Care. No arguing - priority medical treatment (NHS or private) for long-term effect of Service injuries.

This march CAN happen! It WILL raise the profile of the issues we care about! It MAY change something! What is for certain is that doing NOTHING will achieve NOTHING!