PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky X2 coaxial heli developments.
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2008, 15:52
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's an interesting point, maxtorque. The yaw control is entirely dependant on differential collective pitch of the main rotors. Excessive weathervane stability may have adverse affects yaw control. I have been trying to work out if the central rudder is steerable for autorotation.

I must also admit to wondering whether the fly-by-wire is doing a lot more than just the normal pitch and roll stability and control augmentation. It may also extend to eliminating any tendancy for dutch roll, which is the norm in fixed wing now (non FBW favoured spiral divergence). The guy behind the Comanche control system has some pretty remarkable ideas for extending the fatigue life of all the main systems. I would not be suprised to see that implemented here too.

Also notice the small diameter of the main rotors. This is the necessary compromise of increasing disk loading in hover to push up the min power speed (Vy), which improves cruise efficiency. The added benefit is a higher natural frequency of the rotor blades, which pushes up the effective hinge offset for a snappier response.

That pusher prop also looks capable of sinking a lot of power at lower than cruise speeds (Ct/Sigma). I wonder whether the old Cheyenne trick of using the pusher prop for holding various pitch attitudes in hover is being saught.

If ever there was a machine which looked fast standing still this is it...

Last edited by Graviman; 23rd Feb 2008 at 14:59. Reason: Pusher prop windmill brake comment removed.