PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How worried should I be about non-compliance with ICAO standards?
Old 29th Oct 2001, 06:41
Eboy
Everything is under control.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew Korean Air from Seoul to SFO recently with no trouble -- in fact, above average service in my U.S./Asia experience. Also some short hops in Korea while there. In Korea I read in the local paper that the air authority plans to seek recertification as Cat 1 within the month -- ahead of schedule -- pending FAA preoccupation with other matters. My sense now is that Korean Air and the air system is relatively safe (as I shake my mail to see if any anthrax puffs out), but that is just based on externals -- I have no clue what's going on on the inside. I'd swear there is some taxiing at 50 miles per hour, and I wish they'd make everyone sit down before the planes push back. Oh well -- U.S. bias maybe. Triple carry-on bag check at Incheon, at the ticket counter, at the standard security station, and at the gate -- I haven't seen that in the U.S. yet. And dozens of young adults performing their mandatory military service by strolling the airports with automatic weapons -- a new feature since Sept. 11. The bus service between Incheon and Gimpo works well. Leaving each way every 5 minutes or so -- 4,000 Korean Won (about 3 U.S. dollars). Thanks again for the bus tip.