PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Morning of Feb 17,BA flight 072 flight crew
Old 20th Feb 2008, 09:03
mkdar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hand solo

BA072 has been called by ATC many times on the frequency, and on Guard, and asked other traffic to call them on Guard, another BA flight called them, a Lufthansa and a Qatar airways, on main freq and on guard . eventually, Praha said on Guard : BA072 if you do not answer in 4 minutes, you will be intercepted. Less than 4 minutes later, I heard the interceptor fighter calling him on Guard, only then BA072 replied.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, SOP states that the interceptor A/C will fly in close proximity on the left hand side where it can be seen by the intercepted A/C, and it will flash it’s lights at irregular pace.

Praha told BA072 on guard that he has been trying to reach him for ( many hours) , I can’t imagine how but, I followed his attempts for about 25 minutes.

I believe all the voice recording would still be saved by ATC units for a period of 15 days at least, some one might correct me here.

AV8tor94 , thanks for the clarification.

Heathrow Director
ATC units allover the world have Guard 121.50 , and all pilots allover the world are supposed to monitor it at all times, at least this is as far as I know

Herod
The intercepting fighter did call them on 121.5, I heard him

Now it remains a mystery to me, with the PILOT response system on 777s and having to monitor 121.5 , what has actually happened? I am not about blame here, I am about learning how can such a thing be prevented, I’m not immune to mistakes , I did my share and I expect them to happen as long as I fly, when you work you are bound to err .