PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flying into europe - seeking advice
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2008, 08:24
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last time I did this sort of journey, my route was: Monday>Manston GB - Ostend B (O/night) - Bremen D (O/night) - Paderborn D (Take in Mohne Dam at this time) - Leuven B (O/night) - Amsterdam NL (O/night) - Norwich GB. [Friday RTB]

Not at all influenced by Becks - Paderborner - Stella Artois - Amstel!!

I had intended to go to Paris Le Bourget > Le Touget instead of Amsterdam but the weather was not suitable so an unplanned alternate was executed to Amsterdam which showed how quickly such an action can be done in.

I had the benefit of a corporate budget which may influence adopting my following advice. I did an internet search and established handling agents at all of the airports. I emailed them with requirements reagarding ETA / Fuel / Customs / Onward weather brief & Flt Plan requirements / transport to/from hotel etc etc That is the business that they are in and every stop went to perfection. Timing is of course flexible and the bookings for Paris had no cancellation fees. My timing brief was ATA +1 hour for transport to the hotel, to allow time to put the aeroplane to bed and that timing worked fine.

Manston > Ostend has the advantage of a relatively short sea crossing with the option to turn right for dry land should a drama occur. We had 2 engines, a single may wish to opt for a shorter sea crossing. Survival equipment including LSJ & Dinghy were on board.

I think that by land or air, the prospect of european travel is intimidating. ....and this is all down to the sea crossing, for thereafter, or once the hurdle has been crossed, it is most enjoyable.

PS

Watch out for wind farms; they are everywhere