PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Icon Col Pay Lost in Crash (Merged)
Old 20th Feb 2008, 08:22
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really saddens me to think some one dies, possible, for lack of the one bit of kit I would have thought mandatory for that style of flying, testing something so unusual let alone day to day ag flying, and it apparently was a certification requirement of the aircraft (helmut to be worn). if I read the report correctly.

Still it seems as I have watched, marveled is a better word, Col at airshows most of my life and he never wore a helmut...just his characteristic DCs and white overalls...I always wondered about that.

I have looked at the Fire Boss version of that aircraft a few times and thought "What a SEXY bit of kit". It just looks SO GOOD with the floats. Did they cut down so much on useful load that it was worth the risk associated with these flights, or a good mans life?

Why wouldn't you just buy a pair of floats for each firebomber and store them, made up, in a shed...surely it would be less than a days work to change each aircraft over from wheels to floats when needed for the fire season?

This just doesn't seem in character.

http://www.airtractor.com/at-802f-fi...st-us-contract

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 20th Feb 2008 at 08:45.