PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination against a Visa holder in Cabin Crew requirements
Old 19th Feb 2008, 21:20
Hour Builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discrimination against a Visa holder in Cabin Crew requirements

My wife is trying to get into the airlines as cabin crew.

She is an American citizen with a UK visa stamped in her USA passport. She can live/work in this country, and has a NI number. She works for a UK employer currently paying tax and national insurance.

Certain Airlines say that you need the right to live and work in the UK, and have an EU passport. I cannot think why an EU passport is "always" required, as my wife has the same privilages with the visa in her US passport.

Are these airlines discriminating against a UK visa holder?

The answers I keep getting back from the airline in question is, "its a company policy!" however they are all too retarded to actually realise that just because it's a company policy doesn't make it legal. One email responce said you can apply with a visa, and the next said you can't. Another tried to explain to me that the only reason an EU passport is required was to obtain a NI number-they said the only was to obtain an EU number was to get sponsored, which is totally untrue as my wife isn't sponsored and has the NI number. Leads me to think this company has no clue about this type of senario.

I am keen to seek legal advice on the matter, but thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone else has had simular problems.

HB