PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting a helicopter Aoc
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2008, 20:40
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phil. maybe you could start advising people wishing to do lease work as well if my private mail is anything to go by !!! Please NO more emails regarding this ...i do not want to be responsible for giving any advice as i am not qualified !!! All i can say is read the rules ....create a lease agreement and leave the rest to the operator ( the guy leasing ) it is up to him to supply pilot etc as you are NOT offering a service. This is just like hiring a car and then getting a driver , it does not make you a taxi.
This is from an email written by a very experienced ex army cpl coming to terms with life within caa land ....he,s just been told he has to log every hour for the caa re duty hours when he has only done 2 jobs all year !!!
Very funny
I have flown about 350 hours over the year, about 5 of which have been on charter. Going back over my log book will take forever and given everything it does seem ridiculous that I have to fill in a tech log which records flying hours and who is doing it, then a personal flying log book and then another spread sheet just to log the same piece of information and all when we are supposed to live in the age of computers. In the world outside bureaucracy this is called triple keying and is not acceptable or is at the very least being eradicated in most businesses because it is inefficient. I know this is how it is but there must be a more efficient way of doing all this don’t you think given that computers can do most of this now? Let invent something and sell it to the CAA for millions?

Could I not copy my log book on this occasion and send you that so that they can work it out for themselves or is the spread sheet the only way? I assume you only have to keep a record of my hours and the CAA don’t actually tell you that you have to use excel do they?

I am of course very happy to start triple keying from now on - now that I know what is required.

So that there are no surprises, the whole requirement for this AOC flying is:

I have to spend a day jumping in and out of big tank in Middlesborough every ….. months;

I have to spend a day putting out fires and resuscitating dummies every …. months;

I have to spend a day listening to someone chatting about how to manage my non existent flight crew every….. months

I have to be prodded and poked by the quack every 6 months;

I have to fly with an examiner on an LPC every 6/12 months?

I have to fly with an examiner on an OPC every 6/12 months?

…….and in return I get to fly 5 hours for reward on the AOC. All makes perfect sense I don’t know why more people don’t do it.

Not that I am a cynic.

I will of course oblige and conform as required. If the spread sheet is the only way then let me know.