PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relationship with students
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2008, 19:56
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fact is: some instructors do click with a student in the romantic sense so far be it from me or anyone else to judge that! Most students are not pre-16 year olds therefore the professional responsibility associated with underage pupil scenarios is redundant here. If you teach the student what they need to know then you've done yer job. Period. The student is an adult and so is the instructor - if they then wanna go home together afterwards and make babies then that's their business. Not interested!

As for my relationship with my students - it's kept fairly arms length but we're out to enjoy ourselves whilst learning. But I've not yet had a student under my wing who I'd particularly wanna go and have a beer with to be frank! I fly and then I come home. I don't try to groom my students as mates - got enough in my private life ta!

As I said, I do have a laugh and a joke with my students, they appear relaxed around me which I like. For me personally, a relationship can be easily cultivated whereby you can switch to 'strictly business' mode as and when required. Leadership does not sit comfortably with some people, those types of instructors struggle to find a balance - that's a given with any managerial role unfortunately. In my experience, the instructors who are least flexible, least knowledgable and least amiable towards students are the insecure ones who cultivate the arms length relationships with students to avoid too much interpersonal communication work.

It's horses for courses most the time in this game and you find what works for you and your student and you stick with it. You find the groove and go with the flow. Next one walks in and it might be totally different..... for that given day. Nothing is ever set in stone, flexibility is a must so if some burd with big tits wants to ride me senseless after work then who am I to argue if it's helping her.... ahem...progress!

VFE.

Last edited by VFE; 19th Feb 2008 at 20:07.