PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2008, 19:45
Pinkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gerry foley

Gerry, you are reading my post literally. Replace 'post - event' with 'after the event' and you will see what I am trying to say: "how can you tell, from the evidence, when you look at the impeller after the event, that cavitation, which is a transient phenomenon, has actually occurred". Apologies for my clumsy british english phrasing. And the answer was given above by several people: pitting, damage, caused by huge pressure forces and detonation.

But despite all the slightly sarcastic comments to my earlier post no one has answered my question: If it isnt ice, wax, or water, what other common mode control law reduced one engine seven seconds after the other? I still refuse to believe that there is 100% independant authority and segregation between the two engines at all times and that there is never ever a point or situation at which the two engines in a modern aircraft with digital engine and fuel management controls have the function to compare thrust and balance accordingly. I just cant believe that you guys have to either continually adjust throttles to compensate for small variations in thrust between engines or use rudder trim to keep a constant heading (eg in the cruise)? How fuel inefficient that would be. There must at some point and in some flight modes be a digital comparison between the thrust produced in each engine and my question is still, is there concievably a flight mode or condition such that when one engine unexpectedly loses power (eg if fuel feed blocked by a red plastic scraper) the other engine is electronically limited to avoid... well you tell me. There must be a 777 sparky out there who has the FADEC decision logic.

Otherwise, there's only one explanation.. different pieces of crud left behind in different wings just happened to block respective fuel filter screens just seconds apart. I dont believe that and neither do you...