PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Avro Greaser in LCY
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2008, 18:49
PAPI-74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At touchown the usual, but the trick is timing.
With a groundspeed of 160kts your ROD should be 1560FPM and 120kts 1170FPM, so about twice the normal ROD for a 3deg approach.
If this ROD is taken to the threshold and not timed correctly, inertia will win and the aircraft will just keep coming down, which is why I mentioned 2 reds and a pink to give you a bit of room to flare and hold off (unless the runway is wet and it is gusting 85deg to the runway when a +ve arrival is the safest. This does not mean a carrier landing, but just no greasing). I tend to start the gentle flare with the speed slowing from Vref+10 to Vref+5 at about 10-15' (less speed-less ROD reqd. to maintain the Glide Path). With the throttles closed at 5' Vref is only seconds away leaving only a brief flare, which is really only a few extra deg than a normal approach. The other option is to flare at the last moment quickly, checking the attitude from a few deg nose nown, to a few deg nose up. This makes me a bit nervous at that ROD and things can go wrong (too fast, balloon, hit the deck, etc...). This may seem to the uninitiated as the same as landing on a carrier, but broken down, with practice, not a great deal different (...once you are used to hanging into your -ve g strap all the way down).
The windshear and the narrow runway make it a challange.
Please comment if you do it another way as all aircraft are different, and indeed individual's methods.