PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX/FTA Instructor Secondment
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2008, 17:38
wowpeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anyone think about the reason why they set up this program??

firstly, they are desperate for pilots, that's for sure
second, i think they want to limit their batches each year. if i were the company, i would prefer hiring instructors instead of cadets with 200 hrs.

third, they want to reduce the expense on cadets.

there's rumor saying Da11 will be last CPP.

for me, i will definitely try coz i want to leave canada and have a new start somewhere.

i will e-mail for further info.
No offence Takamasa... the reason why they set up this program is not to reduce expense on cadets... in fact FTA/CPA will be paying for most of the instructor training... ie: you don't even need to know how to fly to join this program and it will only cost you AUS30,000... to get the whole PPL/CPL and instructor training at FTA, it will probably cost you upward of AUS100,000... so FTA/CPA will sponsor you to become an instructor and pay for most of your training, just so that you can train more cadets.

Also your comment, "if i were the company, i would prefer hiring instructors instead of cadets with 200 hrs", is a little degrading to the cadets scheme. I highly doubted any instructor with a few hundred hours on a single engine aircraft will be any better than a cadets with 200 hours. At Cathay, you need to reach a certain standard (be it during your time at Adelaide or back in Hong Kong), so if you don't meet the standard, you are out, doesn't matter if you are a cadet or someone with a few thousands of hours. In fact, I have heard some expat SO get wash out because they did not meet the Cathay standard. So it does not make any difference if you are an instructor or not. Also, the fact that with this new program, those same instructors will probably start instructing with probably less than 200 hours in their belt, that actually reduce my confidence on them on doing a good job.

This program is simply a desperate act of FTA parts to retain instructor. It is also a way for Cathay to ensure FTA will output enough Cadets for the airlines and also have a hand full more pilots each year for Cathay from the instructor side...

What's really bad though is the fact that those instructor will now get expat benefits. There used to be a saying that, the reason why cadet don't get housing was because Cathay pay for their training and that they get to join directly into a major airlines instead of having to work their way up through the regional routes. Now, you will get people who will join Cathay with experience similar to cadet but with better benefits. What will everyone say about employment equality now? I have always been very understanding on Cathay prospective of not providing expat benefits to cadet but now, with this new scheme, I think cadet should be getting the same benefit as those who join from the FTA/CPA sponsor scheme. It is a matter of fair treatment!