PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Long will the RAF continue to train fast jet Navs?
Old 19th Feb 2008, 06:53
Impiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav in the Circuit

Of course some aircraft fly such huge circuits the directional black-belts are still taking fixes downwind.

And as for being able to see the runway ..... took a new to the F4 but ex-QFI on a round robin of the minor Scottish airfields as part of his intro to QRA diversions. Downwind in the visual at Wick says I to the nose gunner: "You're on the wrong heading I reckon you're going for the wrong runway" (there are 2 about 20 degrees apart) "No I'm not" came the bold reply.

Finals to overshoot and eventually the stick monkey admitted he might just have been wrong. After a request to me to check the QDM in the red book he then decided the compass must have unsynched (Ferranti INAS so what's to synch?). Eventually on climb away he had the grace to admit to ATC that he may have picked the wrong runway. "Really! I wasn't watching but then there's no one else here but a flock of sheep so I guess you're forgiven" came the genteel response from Wick Tower.