PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2008, 02:37
prospector

New Zealand Airline Pilots Association president Mark Rammell said there was no division among pilots.

"Justice Mahon's finding, that was the official finding of the Royal Commission and that was accepted in Parliament," Rammell said.

"Our pilots are completely happy with that finding, that it was not pilot error."

That was the piece in the article that started this thread again.

I think it has been proven, even to Desert Dingo, that there is a great deal of division among pilots as to Mahons findings.

And I have no doubt "our pilots are very happy with that finding" would be the only correct thing in the article.

Desert Dingo,
.They did not require a position fix before making a VMC descent You keep flogging the proposition that they made an unauthorized decent. Full marks for persistence, but that argument is patently wrong, and you get shot down every time. They did not make an unauthorized descent. Period.

With a comment like that I hope you are a legal man and not an aeroplane driver, I do believe you may have fond illusions about shooting people down, but in this game you have to be right the first time, we do not rely on Appeal Courts and Privy Councils, and these blokes plain got it wrong.

The responsibility to get those Pax home again safely was far more important than missing a bit of sightseeing, as I am sure they would have agreed.