PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hints & Tips on Nav's
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 21:46
Miraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't fly the map!
- keep your head and eyes outside the plane as much as possible.
- use the map to validate visual references from the ground

As previously suggested 6 minute markers make dead reckoning simpler as the distance between markers is GS/10

Make sure the DI and compass are aligned during each CLEAROF check as a minimum - it's no good flying an accurate course against the DI if it has drifted out of alignment

Plan the flight then fly the plan - recognise and understand the differences between the actual flight and your plan during the flight, there will be differences.

Trust your plan - it takes a bit of time to get used to recognising map features from the air. Chances are that if the plan says fly for x minutes in n direction and that is what you have done, then that is where you are.

Explain your decision process during the flight to your instructor - listen to the feedback.

I prefer to keep my maps pretty clean - it's not always easy to read too many pencil markings on them when you need to.

I use a simple A4 clipboard with the current map on one side, and flightplan taped to the other.
  • The map has the intended route, 6 minute markers, TOD, Altitudes, Mag bearings and frequency changes marked on it.
  • The plan has wx, fuel log, airfield information and planned data for each leg along with spaces for recording actual vs expected times.
  • If you are going to add more information on the map as you go, then have a system for identifying what you meant at the time. For example - a number in a circle is a position fix at that time.....you don't want to be staring at a random number on the map trying to remember why you put it there.
Relax - the guy in the other seat knows exactly where you are.