PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excellent Oshkosh video
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 20:26
fernytickles

Life's too short for ironing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JEM60,

No problem.

Everyone's experience levels vary considerably, and I know there are some ill-informed pilots trying to fly in (I believe, if you dig around, you can find a recording of one such pilot on the web somewhere), but the stress levels when you fly in are soooooo much higher than everyday flying, a lot of one's common sense goes for a wander.

The first time my other half came in on the arrival, he kissed the ground when he got out of the plane. A very natural reaction, I think It is thrilling, and challenging and absorbing all at the same time.

I volunteered as a "greeter" one year, helping folk sort themselves out as they arrive and shut the aircraft down. Observing the people as they climbed out of their aeroplanes, they were all talking at once, the adrenalin still pumping and all buzzing still from the arrival, as well as being excited to have finally arrived at Oshkosh. It was so much fun, I hope to do it again sometime. Volunteering draws you in and allows you to become a part of the event as well as being a spectator.

The arrival is so very different to any other arrival you will ever do in your life, it is hard to describe, and ought to be experienced