PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 19:18
Pinkman

I was surprised to see the reference in several places in the report to Jet A-1, my understanding was that Chinese aviation kerosene was called Jet Fuel Number 3 (used to be RP-3). I thought initially that maybe what they were trying to say was that it met at least the spec of Jet A-1 (with which the world is more familiar), but they bang on about Jet A-1 spec of -47deg C and the fact that the actual fuel had a spec of -57 deg C (which is more or less what you would expect from RP-3/JF #3). Unless of course its actually RP-3 marketed as Jet A-1. Doesnt really matter in terms of causation I suppose.

How can you tell if cavitation has occurred post event? Does it actually physically damage the HP rotor/vanes? I thought that once the pressure had been equalised the cavitation stopped and flow resumed?

The debris findings are interesting, particularly the red scraper under the right suction screen. Just supposing one wing fuel suction is suddenly inhibited, notwithstanding the fact that the autothrottle demanded an increase from both engines, in the configuration/mode that the aircraft was in, does the engine management software also limit the differential thrust between the engines. You can see what I am getting at - the seven second difference - could it be that the right engine was starved and the left engine reduced to match, under some limiting algorithm, independant of commands from the autothrottle.

I'm an oilhead so tell me if I am talking cr*p. It wouldnt be the first time.

Pinkman