PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in USA, South Africa....or Australia?
Old 18th Feb 2008, 18:52
sooty615

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICAO licence in UK/Worldwide - A to B without IR

IO540:

The UK operates an exception in that any ICAO license is good for a G-reg plane, flown worldwide
Are you absolutely SURE your assertion is correct? I am very reluctant to disagree with you, but may I suggest that you double check this with FCL at Gatwick?

…without an instrument qualification, a basic PPL is close to useless for going from A to B
I’m sorry, but I must strongly disagree now, that is simply Tosh! I am sure there are many on these forums who have flown many many A to B trips around Europe in aircraft equipped with little more than a radio and compass, and perhaps many of those, like me, used such time to build hours before moving up the licence ladder – or otherwise did it for the sheer fun and experience. Any subscriber of “Pilot” or “Flyer” will have read countless tales of such flights undertaken in a variety of non IR equipped singles, so quite how you figure that an IR for these flights is essential baffles me.

Incidentally, some of my European trips were conducted under the power of the IO-540, the outstanding engine from which I presume your monica is derived, as well as the AEIO-540, a few Gypsy Majors and many hours under steam behind a P&W R-1340 Wasp - and not an ADF, VOR or even GPS to point them, or me, in the right direction.

Neil Michael:

To some extent, the answer to your question depends on the reason you wish to get the PPL in the first place, and where you wish to do your flying. For sure the weather in the US and Australia is likely to be better than here in the UK, and yes it is possible to convert from one ICAO licence to another. The CAA web site outlines the details, and requirements, so I would suggest that your first point of call be to them. I wish you luck, and I’m sure you will have fun when you get flying A to B!

sooty

Last edited by sooty615; 18th Feb 2008 at 20:24. Reason: update