PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 18:48
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seldomfitforpurpose
I am so glad that the system is not a secret – perhaps just for academic and general interest for the readers who do not have your avionics background, you could describe what (technically as opposed to administratively) would be involved in fitting such equipment in an HC2?
And how did the range/bearing data get to the HSIs from that unit (or equivalent) in the later HC2s?
An example of one manufacturers blurb makes it seem very simple:
<<The AN/ARS-6(V) can operate as a stand-alone system that can be installed on any aircraft with connections limited to aircraft power and the voice intercom system. It can also be installed as a data bus system using ARINC 429 or MIL-STD-1553 bus controllers and displays that support an integrated cockpit design.
When PLS is installed as a data bus system, range and steering data can be automatically transferred to the onboard navigation system. This sets the survivor's position as a "way-point."
The navigation system can direct the pilot to the survivor via a flight director display, which has proved to be a very successful tool on several of the military's most sophisticated aircraft. The MIL-STD-1553 or ARINC 429 systems can be ordered in this configuration; stand-alone systems can be upgraded at a later date, with either interface available as a plug-in circuit card.>>
Any comment?
I am glad you mentioned the paperwork, though:
<< This would have involved technicians to install it and at minimum the JENGO to sign off the relevant section of the Form 700.>>
But techs worked on ZD576’s nav system just before the flight and no 700 was raised, was it? The reason Flt Lt Tapper gave for the work did not make sense either, did it? And no one else higher up had a say in that work on this occasion, did they?
So what is the worth and relevance of your description of the procedure normally followed/required?
For what it’s worth, I do not believe that FADEC problems have any bearing on this case either but that hasn’t stopped full and lengthy discussion about that system.
Regarding people not coming forward, I recall one instance where an individual made an innocent quip about the dimensions of a PRC112 handset and its familiarity – judging by his next post, he had been told to shut up.
May not be a secret but what a taboo subject it seems to be.
It is, after all, an interesting system of great utility – I’m sure many would love to know more about it. Pray tell.
Even if I am completely wrong as to what they were referring to on that final leg, please focus on what the a/c was doing until just before impact – from the analysis of available data and local witnesses recollections of helicopter activity in that area:
It sure as hell looks like they were going in to land or closely pass that landing area but overshot;
Knowing the typical local conditions that they most probably were in, they should not have approached so quickly relying on visual judgment alone and these conditions would not have afforded them visual judgment that would have contradicted any instrument reading they may have had – that is, an incorrect range would not have been picked up until it was too late.
Is there anything else that could have misled them other than the system that I have suggested?