PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Heli - Plane Mid Air, Kapiti.
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 18:16
Weekend_Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wingman09, with respect, it should not be up to the operators to work out procedures - this is what CAA get paid to do. The main problem with locals working out their own procedures is that no-one else knows about them, and even when they do, leads to different standards and procedure across the country. Not to mention lack of enforcement for the cowboys, of which GA is still full of. It's confusing enough already when procedures are published and supposedly standardised.
Distracted Cockroach, I too remember PP when the calflight was there, and I did my PPL at Wellington with Associated Aviation ( one Ben Stafford was owner/CFI).
Flight Service at PP was great, kept everyone honest because they knew they were being watched - not everyone is as honest these days.
At one stage there were 4 operators on the field and safety wasn't an issue despite an certain amount of agro between them which is another reason why it is not appropriate for operators to do it themselves. The traffic was heavier then than today by a long shot with a greater mix of light and heavy and yet, I yet never had an incident where I thought safety was compromised - but in last 2 years I have had at least 3 incidents, 1 with helo, one glider tug and one microlight believe it or not.
None would have happened if FS was in attendance.
I could go on, but reintroduce FS is the only way to increase safety.