PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Canadian Road Show
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 15:44
Craic Ore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys (and gals now),

Think LONG AND HARD before making the commitment to come over to the desert. I think some of the stuff above is misleading and keep in mind you'd be trading lifestyle for money.

After being here a few years I can say it is so far from perfect and to be honest about 80% of those who join are counting the days to get out of here. Is is all bad? Well of course not or I wouldn't still be here. But if I could do it all again, I would've looked more seriously at setting up with AC or CX so i could spend more time back home.

After travelling to all the corners of the earth, you can say all you lie about Canada, but man, I respect the place and the people more than ever. Are the taxes too high? Well yeah, but at least the last few years are with a surplus and in the long run we'll be a lot better off than many including our neighbours to the south.

With our new scheduling rules, most guys are getting home only once a year now for about 3 weeks while they spend time apart from the family over the summer. Does that sound like a good life? And have you spent much time in 40, 45, 48 C heat? Not as pleasant as -20, trust me. Just ask around and see if you know anyone and get opinions from them. You'll hear both good and bad. In my time, the news that comes from our management is always one more cut from our working conditions and we're powerless to do anything about it. In fact if you complain loud enough you can either get a loss of the bonus for 2 years, a demotion or a firing. Ever think about that? And if you fail the command, one more crack and FO for life. It's nowhere near a gimme, trust me.

I won't bore you with more details, it's all on the middle east forum. Just make sure if you seriously consider the move, you do it with your eyes fully open.

Good luck,
CO