PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 18th Feb 2008, 14:13
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam,

NO. NO OTHER JAA ROTARY SCHOOL IN THE US.
Just the one very well known. I know my posts are always messy and lengthy, but I only repeated what many said before.
Plus, you can check it out on CAA's website - JAA training schools. Their PDF is very detailed regarding rotary, FW, UK, abroad, contact details etc.
That would require some research, wouldn't it? :-P

How about oft at KSM. Isn't their chopper side JAA ? I looked at going there but they don't do the FAA CFI course. Air Orlando at ORL do and have an ex HAI instructor who is duel rated, not sure if they do JAA .....
On another note........l have been told that if your course is less than 18 hours a week you don't need a visa !!!!! is this true...... anyone ?
1: something similar was about Pelican on another thread. No positive conclusions to curious questions. Find it in history.

Did you read their website??
------------------------
FAA TO JAA CONVERSION COURSE

• 3 hours R-22 at Cabair Flying Schools
• Incorporated FAA/JAA Differences, plus “Flying in UK/Europe” difference
• 2 hours skills test
• Aircraft rental for skills test

Cabair Flying School locations:
Rochester – Redhill – Bedforshire – Cranfield – Estree – Blackbush
-------------------------
From this and offer of FAA PPL and FAA CPL - ONLY, you can guess.
They are friends (ie get commission or owned or whatever, who cares) with Cabair and you'd probably do some theory in the US towards JAA theory exam SAT IN THE UK with few hours flown there as well, to get JAA papers.

RE exHAI instructor at Air Orlando: Well, from what I've read (THIS WWW) and from common sense (if there is such thing with UK CAA :-/ ) being JAA instructor isn't enough. The school has to be as well. Plus having JAA examiner for checkride, etc etc.
If being FAA CFI and giving certain instruction on N-reg aircraft is enough for FAA (I presume, didn't research it) it isn't necessarily for JAA/JAR.

Otherwise you'd have 'JAA schools' all around the world - any Tom or Dick getting JAA FI in JAA certified school would go back to Latin America, Asia, Africa etc and set up his own school with one R22 or C152 and train another generation. Funny thought. Really.

Why would Bristow Academy do combined JAA/FAA if not for their students' sake of employability in FAA school should they not get a job with them after training. Or, more ratings, more fees. Besides, one can start JAA FI with 250 TT and then do it. In other words, students can do FAA CFI-I with 150-180 hours, then instruct FAA PPL students on Schweizers (thus being able to instruct under 200TT and min 50TT in R22/44 to conform with SFAR73) and get their JAA FI with enough hours. Or simply pay for all the hours until incl JAA FI.

malc4d, for visa stuff consult VISA and US thread and TSA website.
Opinions differ, if you don't have H, M, F visa or green card, you need legal status allowing you to get training towards rating or license. Except 'leisure flying aka hour building while having fun' on visa waiver, all the rest need paperwork. See yourself. Good luck training. I'm off to US in June.