PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air ambulance/ Police- winching/ onshore rescue
Old 18th Feb 2008, 13:47
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
Whoate - you are right that day winching over flat terrain is easy peasy and anyone can do it but that is not what FF is proposing. If the ground were suitable, they would land on to deploy the paramedic as they do now so that means the area must, by definition, be inhospitable.

Many of the likely winching scenarios may be straightforward (a casualty on a steep slope for example) but as the terrain gets more difficult (steeper cliffs, trees, wires etc) and longer lengths of cable are required the game gets harder and an inexperienced crew (eg straight off a winching course where they have been taught basic patter and how to use the winch smoothly) may well get sucked into winching when it is beyond their capabilities.

The one element FF doesn't have in his empire is experience which is why I am concerned that it might go horribly wrong. A CAA approved winching course doesn't give you the experience to deal with operations just as a PPL doesn't give you the ability to deal with IIMC.

I have persisted with this thread because I do have a little insider knowledge of FF's operation but I must protect my sources.

Finally - if you think I am arrogant then you don't know me and if you think I have a narrow, blinkered view of the helicopter world based on limited experience then you really don't know me at all

PS, as you know the Sea King often isn't SSE in the hover when winching but we can take it at risk because we are in the military, the civilians can't because of legislation - one of the reasons we get so much more training done because we don't have to wait for the right wind/weather to practise.