PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excellent Oshkosh video
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 12:48
JEM60

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Fernytickles. I take many of your points, and I am sorry if I gave to wrong impression. I have always loved visiting the show, and will continue to do so. I also ALWAYS make the point of congratulating the Pink Shirts everytime I see one. As you say, they do a fantastic job, and forsure I do realise that it is the Olympics of ATC. I most certainly did not want to give people the impression that it is not hugely enjoyable, which it is. NEVERTHELESS, having spoken to spectators watching the Sunday arrivals, I discovered that many pilots would FAR RATHER arrive before the Sunday, for the very points that I brought up. I would, of course emphasise that the poor flying I have seen had absolutely nothing to do with the show participants, merely with the standard of visiting flying from time to time. In conversation, it was implied thatthere are a number of pilots whose only flying would appear to be a couple of times a year, and that, only to appear at Oshlosh. It seems to me that there are undoubdtedly a number of people who fail to read their joining instructions until almost over the airfield. One only has to listen to an airband radio to realise how good a job [for no reward] the Pink Shirts do. As you say,the place is full of the nicest people, terrific weather, and gorgeous aircraft. I have visited the States 16 times so far, and have always loved the experience, and I shall be at Airventure 2009. More power to EAA and Airventure, and I really do apologise if my criticisms seemed over the top. They were not meant to be so, but merely observation. Kind regards. John.