PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in USA, South Africa....or Australia?
Old 18th Feb 2008, 12:24
Neil Michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL in USA, South Africa....or Australia?

Great forum.

I'm looking to train for my PPL later this year and, having read the advice posted here, I think the best option for me is to train abroad. The first of my many questions is where?

To put you in the picture, I am 27 years old and have no flying experience to speak of other than a few hours AEF with the Air Training Corps many moons ago. I have been saving for quite some time to see this through and I am slightly anxious that I make the right choice.

I see that both South Africa and the USA are popular options given the cost and quality of training and, also, the time it would take to complete due to the favourable weather conditions. I would like to know if anyone has experience of training in Oz.......I ask as my parents live in Queensland so it would mean I would save some cash on accommodation and living costs. Cash that might very well be used to cover some extra hours if needs be....

Also, would it be difficult to validate an Australian licence in the UK to make if a JAA licence? I understand that some of the US or SA schools actually issue a JAA licence which may be a more attractive proposition if the red tape to convert is timely and expensive.

Any advice, gratefully recieved.