PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To start for a pilot at 36? does it make sense?
Old 18th Feb 2008, 10:15
Knee Trembler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know plenty of people who have come into the industry at 35+. For a lot of people it takes that long to get the cash together to make the move in the first place.

How you adapt will depend on your personality. I think a lot of employers will appreciate the maturity that (relatively) older people bring to the cockpit - it's certainly the case that often the colleagues who moan loudest are the ones who started early, have known nothing else and are bored and burnt out before they are out of their 30s.

On the downside, be ready to bite your tongue. Once you get your first job you will be judged by the uniform you wear and this will, inevitably have as few as two stripes for a while. Some people cope better than others. My advice, get used to the fact that you are essentially invisible until you get a command or at least have been in your company for a few years. If you can accept this you will earn heaps of money in return for just turning up to work!

It's also worth mentioning that you may find that, depending where you get your first job, you could be flying with a much younger captain. Even if you behave impeccably, there are a few out there who will have a problem with this. I flew right seat until I was 40 (a slow learner I'm afraid!) and have had a couple of less than pleasant days at work with younger guys (and girls) - although that's a few days out of hundreds.

Don't let any of this put you off though, just go into it with your eyes open and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

KT