PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Heli - Plane Mid Air, Kapiti.
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 07:19
distracted cockroach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote "I got my PPL at Associated, across the field from KAC; know the area well.
I always remember a poster Russell had on the wall, showing a bi-plane wrapped around a tree.
The caption said `Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. It is just very unforgiving of mistakes.'
I always used to bear that in mind when flying up the coast to Otaki to practice low flying... and struggling to spot on-coming traffic that you could hear on the radio." Quote

Tatare,
Me too...and I remember that poster. I think it may have even been Harry's as I learned from the "old" Associated offices, and it was on the wall there too (going back waaay too many years now)
Paraparam was always reasonably busy (but it's not Ardmore) with a mixture of fixed/rotary wing, gliders/tugs and even RPT and CAL-Flight ops (yes I'm that old!). When I learned to fly there was a Flight Service in the tower, which was a help, but I don't think it was essential.
This will create a similar debate to the Air National stabbing/hijack. What price safety? A midair COULD have happened with FSS in the tower, but it would have been less likely. How much are 3 lives worth? Politicians and beaurocrats will rationalise it by talking about the thousands of flights that take place without problems, but that is zero consolation to those who lost loved ones.
Is it just me or are the number of fatalities in GA in NZ a lot higher than they used to be? What responsibility do CAA have in all this?