PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly by Wire questio0n
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 06:02
PantLoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FBW

Milt, thanks for the response.

My only Bus experience is with the 319/320/321. Don't know anything about the earlier models (300, etc.).

I don't have numbers regarding forces required to move the stick....probably could dig into the FCOMs to find this...not much value, really. But, in my humble opinion, there is not much 'feel' vis-a'-vis airspeed, loads, etc.

Trim is automatic...and it doesn't matter what you're doing...it trims. For example, you want 20 degrees of left bank, and ten degrees nose up...well you 'put it there' then sit back and sip your coffee. That's pretty much where it stays. The exceptions are unusual bank angles like, I think the bank limit is 32 or 33 degrees...beyond which, you have to continually hold the stick to keep it at bank angles beyond the 32/33 degree figure. (Can't remember things too well, anymore.) There is no trim switch...except for the rudder. You have a stabilizer trim wheel...you move it by hand, while in direct law. Never been in direct law (or alternate law) during normal line operations, so, other than in the sim, I never used the trim wheel.

Regarding electrical failures, you can fly the plane....it takes several massive, momumental failures to get into a situation where you have no electrics. It'll fly.

But, hydraulics are a different matter. You really need at least one hydraulic system to keep the shiny side up.

To be blunt, despite all the crap they do to you in the sim, the Bus is quite reliable, and the systems are quite redundant. Had, on only one or two occasions, a computer failure. Each time, it was a non-event. (To me a 'non-event' means you pretty much ignore it and just keep on flying like everything's normal. Write it up when you get on the ground.)

My conversion course (type rating, as we call it in the States) involved a sim that did everything. In other words, the first time I flew the actual airplane was with passengers on board and a line instructor in the right seat. It was no problem. (I would never have made a P.A. announcement stating such...but that was how it was!)

The long and short of it...in my opinion, the Bus is a joy to hand fly. Once you get used to the stick and the handling, it's a wonderful piece of engineering and art. I find it to be a particularly 'honest' airplane...and easy to land (especially the 321).

PantLoad