PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly by Wire questio0n
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 04:45
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PantLoad

Not often do we see something like a good handling assessment. I've been asked to produce one for P-51 Mustang. The last I partially did was for an RAF Comet 2C - and was it ever a dog having powered flight controls with large breakouts into spring feel.

Twice flew an A300 out of Toulouse in R seat and was introduced to the 'standard performance take off' with runway temp and other relevant factors taken into account.

As a TP with minimal experience in handling side stick FBW some comments on the feel of the Airbus side stick controllers will be appreciated particularly as my experience as a TP dictated that the SF/g for a heavy military could not be less than 11 pnds/g when using a two handed yoke. So for your controller

How far does it move from full forward to full aft and what is the force required to input full aft.? Is there any feel of IAS?

Presumably the pitch feel is well harmonized with roll but don't you need differing roll forces to be compatible with your differing wrist strength left and right.

With controller free does the system freeze the attitude?

Is your trim controller a 4 way switch which you operate with your thumb and/or do you have auto trim?

Presumably also all of your auto stabs and limitations are auto but maybe with some variations available.

How can you cope with electrical power failures and computer malfunctions?

Was a simulator conversion to side stick adequate or did you need some air time?

Smooth landings