PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2008, 00:40
ampan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point taken about the torment and scalpel posts, Pakeha Boy. Will try to limit the size of my rantings. One of the reasons why "the anti-Mahon faction", of which I am an obvious member, gets so hot under the collar is that there is a group of victims that hardly anyone considers, namely, the AirNZ employees that Mahon labelled as perjurers. Most of them were immediately suspended when Mahon's report was released. The Police investigated, given that perjury is a serious criminal offence. They and their families were publicly flogged. Then they had to spend many thousands of dollars to clear their names, which they actually did. Unfortunately, the general public never seemed to take any notice of that.

The other thing that p*sses me off is the general public's complete acceptance of everything Mahon said. We have even had Jim Anderton, the ultimate politician (which is not intended to be a compliment), proposing that Mahon's findings should be enshrined in a statute. (His next move will probably be to propose another statute whereby anyone criticising Mahon is to be prosecuted for "Mahon-Denial".)