PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excellent Oshkosh video
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2008, 20:47
fernytickles

Life's too short for ironing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JEM60

As someone who operates in & out of Oshkosh regularly, professionally, privately & as a volunteer, throughout the year, and during the week of the airshow, I might have to take umbrage at your reference to "some horrendous flying"

The arrivals are amazing, the organisation, planning and profoundly careful thought that has gone into the whole arrival procedure is breathtaking. The "pink shirts" are some of the best controllers in the world (especially the Scottish guy ) and do an incredible job of keeping everyone pointing in the right direction at the right time.

Considering you get over 10,000 aircraft coming & going during the week, giving over 100,000 movements, the law of averages says there's a good chance something will happen. I'm sorry you've been on hand for some of the accidents, but with so much else to see & do and be involved with during the week, surely you can take something positive away from the event.

There is some fantastic flying by everyday pilots wishing to participate, share the fun and experience with everyone. Pilots and non-pilots alike all have something to contribute and take away from the event. The week would suffer without many of the non-pilots who do so much to help with the volunteering.

Personally, I like watching the video as we hunker down, keeping warm through the snow/ice storms we are experiencing right now, so it reminds me of what Oshkosh is like in the summer months - a phenominal buzz of aviation.

If you come back, contact me and I'll take you along to experience an arrival from the air, not just by car. Its something you will never forget

Last edited by fernytickles; 17th Feb 2008 at 21:52.