PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2008, 07:59
davaar lad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Purdey

John Purdey,
I fear we are always going to disagee; but I suppose that the fact that you contribute to this forum so freely is a good thing, otherwise we would all agree, pat ourselves on the back and go home.
The evidence which Mr Holbrooke gave has been slightly undermined by his varying accounts but is nevertheless worth re visiting.
His recollection is based on a slow moving, sea level (of course)observation. He also had the benefit of 360 degree vision so that he could look both into the gloop and away. The advantages this would have given him in terms of SA were significant when compared to a fast moving helicopter. In my case there are two points I would like to bring to your attention. On the return flight looking away from the gloop there was a good horizon and it all became clear to me. Also when making an approach to my LZ at Carradale speed, height and distance were so difficult to judge that it was only when I made visual contact with a Land Rover that my visual cues were re orientated to give the correct picture;even though I was in good visual contact with the surface.
On a slightly different matter, probably been covered before but what I can't quite come to terms with is why if someone crashes into a mountain, other aircraft or sea in good weather conditions in a perfectly serviceable aircraft that it is either "a momentary lapse in concentration", "poor judgement" bad luck etc etc. But if two loyal, trusted, young men, serving their country to their best endevour, in an aircraft whose release to service is questionable are "Grossly Negligent" when crashing into a mountain in poor weather is beyond me, and clearly beyond most other contributers to this forum.
I can understand the sentiment of some of the more vitriolic contributors,
there has been a betrayal here, by the very people who should have been responsible for protecting the the good names of the Chinook crew.

rgds

SMK