PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excellent Oshkosh video
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2008, 06:44
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an increbible atmosphere there. I'm not sure how 40,000 people end up feeling like one family, but it does happen. I didn't hear a cross word or unpleasantness spoken to or about anyone in the week I was there, and strangers showed hospitatlity and friendliness that is just far too rare.

I just traded e-mails with the former leader of the Bonanzas to Oshkosh. Part of their formation is shown on final approach and taxying after landing (nearly 100 aircraft arrive within about 12 minutes in one mass formation). Elliott told me that one of the chaps shown in the video is a guy they call "Old Bob" and he can be seen polishing the 18th Bonanza ever built, and the oldest one still flying (I believe) which has since been put into the Beechcraft Heritage Musuem. I saw that aircraft there and it looked as new as the latest one off the production line, which was parked right next to it. I met Elliott via e-mail a couple of years ago when doing some research on how to conduct the Pitts 50th anniversary commemorative formation we did from Leicester to Tollerton in '05. He is a fantastic guy, got to meet him face-to-face at Oshkosh where he and the rest of the Bonanza family made me feel like on of the gang.

A great place, a terrific event, all because of the people.