PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are we really going with the IMC rating?
Old 17th Feb 2008, 00:14
FullyFlapped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
IMC rating holders need to be on their best behaviour while the debate rages and nothing could be more damaging than giving the detractors some indication that the rating encourages pilots to operate beyond the uses for which the rating is provided.

What an odd thing to say. IMC holders need to be on their "best behaviour" because IFR is challenging and they are responsible for their own safety. I actually think it is helpful to the IMC-R case that the descent minima are the same as for IR holders, and that some IMC-R pilots apply those minima. It shows that it is safe, since I am not aware of any IMC-R holder accidents where the application of IR minima has been a factor.
No. And neither is DFC. And you are quite right about the minima.

And as for throwing rocks, Keef, I am sorry - truly - that there is discord. However, the guy at my airfield who said to me yesterday that - despite being a perfect candidate for it, in terms of usage and profile - he wouldn't be taking up an IMC because someone he knew had seen on PPruNe that it was definitely a dead duck - makes me angry, and those who propagate this crap deserve all they get ...