PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To start for a pilot at 36? does it make sense?
Old 16th Feb 2008, 20:00
dougy24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
age concern

Hi,

I decided on a career change at 45 !! although I had previously done some flying in the Army Air Corps, although that was 20 odd years ago!!

So I took redundancy from a well know corporate telecomms company and embarked on doing my ATPL's... and starting a business to help fund it all.

(I had been flying as a PPL for 2 years) and yes I found it tough going, its harder to learn the older you get, but got through those and then went and did CPL/IR and MCC etc, got first time passes, and being very lucky and jammy got a job after 3 months, flying as a single Pilot IFR doing Aerial survey work (had also been offered an interview with Ryanair)..didnt go though!!

However I did not enjoy the work, as it wasnt type of flying that I wanted to do really. So I am now about to embark on a type rating for the ATR (have to be realistic about my age...now 48!!) and think I will stand more chance on Turbo props than big shiny jets!!...but as they say nothing is guaranteed, but yes I firmly believe that if you want something bad enough then go get it and dont give up!!.. I have had hundreds of no thanks letters etc...but will still keep trying as I believe I have still got something to offer?.

So go for it...will be hard but worth it it if you want it that badly...good luck.

Dougy