PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2008, 18:52
John Purdey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Chinook

Davaar Lad. Again, I must be missing something here. The yachtsman, our only witness looking at that self-same shore at about the same time from seaward, said that the horizontal vis was about one mile and that he could see the boundary wall of the lighthouse site below the cloudbase. I'm not clear why any possible ambiguity about the edge of the mist and the edge of the cloud really matters very much. The question is why anyone would have pressed on over those cloud-covered hills? I know that I would not have done so.
We will never know why this crew did so, but the only possible explanation is that they were off track but of course did not realise it, and I apologise to our regular contributers for saying yet again that the crew should not have been in that place in those conditions.
You say in your latest post "What I did when I approached the Kintyre peninsula that evening in my VFR helicopter was slow down, turn around and land on Arran and scratch my head before having another go" I trust you will not think me patronising when I say "Absolutely right, and that is why you are still with us!"
With all good wishes. John Purdey