PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat Pilots job in USA
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2008, 17:01
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dominican -
xxx
I wish you had printed your last lines in "1 inch bold red print" - Despite your very accurate statements about US visas, green cards or passports, this forum will continue to be flooded by inquiries in the style "I know this has been posted before, but..." about seeking a job as pilot in the USA...
xxx
I would say, as it stands now, and for the near future, FORGET IT, and NO, NOT POSSIBLE.
xxx
Besides all that, there is one thing I fail to understand by those people who ask information, is "why in hell" consider immigration and employment with US airlines after knowing the low level of salaries and benefits offered there. I bailed out of that zoo, 15 years ago. Back then, things were bad, now it is even worse.
xxx
Unless you are in the top 1000/2000 pilots on the seniority list of AA, Delta or United, all experienced US pilots often seek employment in Europe, Asia or the Middle East, in view of better salaries, benefits and quality of life. The only thing that USA and FAA are great for, is pilot training and licenses. After that, go to Frankfurt, Dubai or Seoul for your aviation career.
xxx
Do you want to be a pilot based in gorgeous Detroit or Cleveland for a regional carrier at the first year salary of US$18,000/year...? Would you be happy with 10 days of yearly paid vacation, when a European or Asian airline offers 30 days...? Is it ok to have a medical insurance that takes 6 months to be effective with lots of restrictions, requiring you to pay extra to cover your spouse and kids...? How about retirement...? How about travel benefits only valid on rainy wednesdays at night...? And have you ever read about exchange rates of the Euro and Sterling, with the US Dollar, and worsening as Wall Street goes down...?
xxx
NO THANKS, not my cup of tea.
xxx
Or maybe a solution, for masochists - marry a US citizen, and live with her/him for at least 2 years. US ladies especially, have mastered the expertise of divorce alimonies and support payments. I know many of my friends who left the US for overseas airlines, to avoid paying the ex-wives half of their meager airline salary.
xxx
The USA is a great place - to visit for vacations, and shopping.
Do you know about "food simulators"...? - McDonald's are superior culinary restaurants to enjoy.
(Their hamburgers almost taste like real food...) -
xxx

Happy contrails, sorry guys...