PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2008, 14:14
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cazatou
The 1st sentence was tongue in cheek.
The "crux" of my theory is that, with evidence of an approach to that landing area, what could have misled them with regard to range, because this fits all that is known.
The equipment I specifically mention is my suggestion (for several reasons).
Got any other ideas?
At least get used to the idea that they were doing something there other than screwing up a simple ferry flight.
On the sequence of waypoints alone, if conditions were dubious at the Mull such that a flight to the area of the light house and then up the coast was not on, then the change of waypoint to Corran keeping them clear of the muck and the higher still ground further to the north of the lighthouse was required several miles earlier - check the charts with accurate track/brg plots.
The allegations that they were in a hurry also conflict with them going in as far as waypoint change - it was a significant dogleg in off a more direct line to Corran.
You all seem to get hung up on the whole "conspiracy" picture - try doing the nav, getting the procedures, etc and working out what they were doing - so many things are anomalous to a route flight just passing the Mull.
Perhaps unblinkered you can work something else out.
It is not just speculation - neither the official line nor the control jam theory of the Mull group hold up - the instrument settings as found do fit with a landing at a site used before yet not acknowledged despite a crash within a few hundred yards of it - why was the possibility of an emergency landing there not even considered? - was it so important not to acknowledge that landing area?
Just as it was important to keep the impression of unsuitable weather?
I suppose you would notice an extra module in a new a/c would you? - it ain't that big. The units supplied in 1995 were easy to move between HC2s - they were designed to be so - which sort of implies that they would have been easy to pop into one, don't it?
Anyway, forget the specific equipment - if you can't see that the instruments and speed reduction and heading change to the area suggested a landing there, for whatever reason, then, as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.