PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 16th Feb 2008, 13:20
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1- Would you tell me if the earlier mentioned BOEING COLD FUEL MANAGEMENT PROCEDURE was carried out in PEK

Quote:
if the fuel freezing point is projected to be critical for the next flight segment, Boeing advises the transfer of wing tank fuel to the center wing tank before refueling. This makes it possible to use the freezing point of the fuel being uplifted for that flight segment
I do not konw.

However, is that procedure not intended for use when the aircraft has been using fuel such as JET A with a FP of -40° (the normal uplifted fuel in the USA) not when the fuel used on the previous sector has been JET A1 with a FP of 47°C. Ex LHR it is highly unlikely that G-YMMM had had any fuel in its tanks which wasn't JET A1.

The fuel temperature after landing and sitting on the ground for half an hour or so would be (relatively) close to ambient air temperature. With a fuel load remaining of (typically for PEK) 7 tonnes and a typical requirement to uplift a further 63 tonnes for the return I would suggest that the uplifted departure fuel temperature would not be significantly lowered by the temperature of the inbound sector fuel remaining.

2- Would you know if BA038 had to hold anytime before landing ?
The aircraft did hold at LAM but for how long I do not know.

Is there not a real problem that the press may be reporting based on postings here and pprune posters may then react to these 'reports' - chinese whispers?
It's a pity that this discussion area is being sourced by the media as it does place a responsibility on posters that maybe a discussion forum should be free from.
BTW, this has been one of the most interesting and informative threads for a long while especially for a GA driver like me.
Ultimately this thread is of limited usefulness anyway! The exception being some excellent descriptions of the fuel system and other technical facts from people who plainly understand the subject.

I am sure most posts and what is written in the newspaper are taken with a pinch of salt by anybody with a degree of common sense (the least common of all senses).