PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet programs??
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2008, 11:25
BusinessMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tu144,

If you do a search () you should get plenty of hits to give you details of cadet schemes around in the last few years.

Most programmes in the UK currently (OAT/NJE, OAT/TCA, FTE/TFly, FTE/Flybe etc) work by pre-selecting people before the course starts but the cadet still has to fund everything, though there are some nuances around tax breaks & sometimes some up-front costs covered but then repaid from starting salary. Check out OAT and FTE's websites for more details on those schemes

There are a few exceptions however; Bond Helicopters recently ran a scheme which was genuinely sponsored though the cadets still have to find £30k upfront towards the total costs. With total costs a multiple of that the scheme is still extremely attractive and probably the best UK one I've seen since 911. CTC Wings is another sponsored type programme, though I believe that starting salary may be lower for the first 7 years or so for people who've come through that route (?).

I don't know what the schemes outside UK are like though. Suggest you look directly at US airlines to find out. Don't know about your chances on the schemes I've mentioned above because they are EU-based, usually require EU citizenship and the unrestricted right to live and work in the EU. Have a look at the websites...

There are also some Asian & Middle East schemes such as MEA, Singapore & Quantas (among others) but you usually have to be a national. Have a look at their websites & see...

Generally cadet schemes are extremely competitive to get on to. Eg Netjets Europe's first request for applications through OAT was answered by c400 I believe, for 18 slots eventually offered. The recent Bond helicopters scheme was >200 for 12 slots offered etc. When I applied to BA in 1995 (their first programme since 1st Gulf War) they told me at interview that 57000 people had rung in response to the newspaper ads & they were culling that down to find c120 for slots! That isn't really indicative of the norm though

Best of luck. BM