PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 16th Feb 2008, 06:52
Stoic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSEU/Exeng/barit1

NSEU thank you for giving some hard information on the 747-400 fuel temperature sensing arrangements. I am looking forward to learning exactly what they are on the 777.

Exeng thank you for defending me while I slept.

The shut down rate was appalling in early 747 ops, so 13 shut downs whilst unlucky probably is not a record.
I see that my English was open to mis-interpretation. I was not claiming a record in the sense that I had the most shutdowns but was using the word record in the sense that it was my history that taught me to be a wimp. I would guess it is certainly not a record in the "most" sense.

Barit1. That might be the statistic in modern 747s but during the seventies the reliability was awful of both the P&W and the RR524. The fan on the latter was apt to leap from the front of the engine so had to be stopped at the merest hint of vibration. When BA first acquired the P&W-powered 747s and the pesky pilots were refusing to fly them (a squabble over money as I remember) BOAC were renting out their engines to other airlines that were flying and BOAC's aeroplanes languished at base with concrete blocks hanging from their wings. Incidentally I have a little over 17,000 hours, not all on the 747 but a mighty chunk!

Regards

Stoic