PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East and Asia blamed for Aussie pilot shortage
Old 16th Feb 2008, 03:42
Pollution IV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we're simply seeing growing pains in the Aus regional aviation scene. The market is finally transforming into a mature 1st world system as per Europe and the US. It seems to have been artificially repressed for some time due to a lack of opportunity and an abundance of young keen pilots to do the work for very little pay. It's (hope I got that right AF) just happening in a more compressed time period than airline managers would like.

On the up side, there should be greater efficiencies borne of the big boys moving in to fill the vacuum left by defunct regionals, but unfortunately much reduction in services and inconvenience for people in the regional towns.

As for cadet schemes saving the day...I don't believe they've thought that one through too well. Cadets are rather a trng burden for a significant period of time, which places further pressure on the existing pilot workforce. Hope they're not planning to just throw them into the RHS and hope for the best!
Good luck Rex management , looks like you'll need it.