PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2008, 03:03
hoggsnortrupert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up It will go on for years yet!

prospector hogsnortrupert,
Following the U.S. District Court hearing in Washington DC, Judge Harold H. Greene wrote in his ruling,

"It is clearly established that, when the pilot told Mac Centre he wished to descend VMC, he effectively informed the controllers that he could see where he was going. In so doing he took SOLE RESPONSIBILITY for separating THE AIRPLANE FROM OTHER AIRCRAFT and the TERRAIN and he was on his own,
There also was much credible testimony to the effect that, and the Court finds that, air traffic controllers are not in a position to challenge, or second guess, the representation of a pilot that he can see where he is going and. indeed, that controllers are trained not to question such a representation".

'Mahon found that Captain Collins had been authorised by McMurdo to descend to 450 metres, and could not be said to have been guilty of unauthorised “low flying”."

I AGREE! MAHON GOT THIS WRONG:

LINKS in a chain, or holes in Suisse cheese? you choose!

Where did the first link crack? where was the first hole to open up in the cheese, this is a sequence of events, that each on its own amounts to nothing, put together we are all the wiser for.

I have just finished a book written by Commander Beach USN Rtd, about the US Nautilus! around the world submerged, occurred in 1956:

He explains a bit about his Fathers Court Martial "Commander Beach Snr"
Beach Snr's Ship was at anchor at some port, when a Tsunami occured.

Upon seeing the Pre wave sign of the sea rolling back he tried valiantly to put his ship to sea, but was not quick enough.

At his trial he was "Convicted" of putting his ship at risk by not being prepared for a Tsunami? His was the "unlucky" one amongst other's at anchor?

It would appear by nature, we always have to have someone to blame!

The older I get the more I am convinced, that the more we learn the more stupid we become.

Why have we not got a hot line to GOD?

Chr's
H/Snort