PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL-FI Requirements changing with EASA?
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2008, 15:52
Pringle 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The industry 'Big Wiggs' seem to have decided to support the cheapest option of employing PPL's to instruct. I do not agree with them, but have no power to stop it. If we are forced down this road, I believe the standards issue is the most important one to get right. For all the criticisms people have of the CPL system, it is a national standard, examined centrally by the CAA. This applies to the flying as well as the ground school.

Many believe there is a need for a new written exam or exams which exclude some of the less relevant CPL subjects. This would seem sensible. It would also seem sensible to have the exam set and marked at a central location (CAA). My experience of locally set examinations is far from satisfactory. There should be no chance of cheating or allowing 10 attempts at the exam to fill a club's instructor vacancies.

The experience levels required from PPL candidates should be higher than for CPL to allow for the lack of structure when hours building. Westmoorland/Shortstripper can you at least agree this point. You keep going on about how many PPLs' have more experience than some CPL's. Not if the PPL has 200 hours they don't!!! At the moment it seems that the hours requirement will be the same whether CPL or PPL. This must mean a reduction in minimum standards.

To fit with the spirit of these changes surely a PPL/FI should only be able to teach to basic PPL level. This should not include the IR, IMC or aerobatics, even if the student they are teaching is a PPL. I am concerned that the goal posts are already moving away from instructing as a profession towards it being a hobby for the rich and/or retired airline/military pilots.

VFE - I agree with your thoughts on advanced training moving overseas . I may be wrong, but I don't think the new proposals will prevent a PPL teaching the IR. The principal seems to be the instructor can teach up to his or her own qualifications. A PPL/IR with FI rating would seem to fit into that bracket. Should be a nice little number for a retired airline pilot who has lost his Class 1 medical. So much for instructor career progression. Any thoughts Beagle?

Now the thorny issue of money. Some seem to consider any discussion on this subject as vulgar. Peronally, I am forced to instruct part-time because the pay is so poor. I would love to go full time but wouldn't be able to pay the bills. I teach to basic PPL level. An influx of PPL/IR's will have a negative effect on my pay and conditions. Supply and demand! At the moment I still have the hope that one day I will move onto more advanced instructing, as the wage would allow me to go full time. If these new plans spead to include other ratings and or licences this avenue will be closed to me any many others who hold similar ambitions. So much for career progression, again!

In my view we should be very cautious of letting the number of CPL instructors fall, which they inevitably will, if pay and conditions deteriorate. I would estimate that around 50% of the students I have taught have harboured some ambition to go commercial. If the UK clubs cannot provide the product these people want, they wont even walk through the clubhouse door. If the lack of suitably qualified pilots looks likely to affect the economy, govenment run authorities (CAA, EASA etc) will be forced to allow the likes of Ryanair to source a more cost effective option. This could exclude SEP flying altogether which isn't good for any of us.... PPL or CPL.

So those making these decisions.... please get the balance right as the stakes are high.