PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2008, 13:17
HeliComparator

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
212 - the 225 issue is unrelated as you say, but just to be correct the density altitude restriction was below minus 2000' DA. That was not too hard to reach, eg 1040mb and +5 deg C. Not exactly exceptional! Fortunately it has now been modded out and we can go to -3500', and should be -6000' by next winter.

Can I have my usual tirade about certification at this point? The certifying authorities force manufacturers and anyone else wanting to mod their aircraft, to jump through a seemingly endless sucession of hoops. But at the end of all that, there is no guarantee that the product is safe and robust: vis the S92 AHRS, the 225 flight envelope. You would think that basic testing would include checking the limiting values of a parameter such as pressure altitude.

When an error gets through, as it inevitably seems to do, you try fixing it.

"Oh no Sir, you cannot possibly fly that bit of kit without my piece of paper. Without my piece of paper you are doomed to eternal flames. With my piece of paper you are floating on a cloud. Stop moaning that it doesn't actually work. Paper is God, functionality is irrelevant"

Or something like that

Quite yer moaning fellas....get out the Sun Screen, Beach Towel, and crank up the barbie
SAS - bear in mind the peak temperature was +5 so more likely crank up the central heating and hit the pub

HC