PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silverjet Second Officer Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2008, 11:33
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would doubt S/O would be hired if the longer routes do not materialise. A company which is focusing on cash flow and consolidation will be putting S/O recruitment below other priorities. Do not blow your hard borrowed/earned cash on chasing a 767TR for these guys. Wait and see what will happen over the next 6 months or so.

As for the use of S/O, many ultra-long haul airlines use them, specifically Cathay and SIA. TNT are advertising for 744 S/Os now, which I suspect will be for some very long sectors. An F/O from my airline is about to join Cathay as a S/O on the 777, and he will only be a cruise pilot for the first 18 months, then gain a promotion to a F/O. I suspect he will be bored out of this mind after being a F/O on 737s and ATRs. I think he has around 2500hrs!

As a low houred pilot, you really need to build up experience in all phases of flight, from climb, cruise and descent. Descents and landings are the ones you'll need most practice on; so the more landings the better. This is really best done on short-haul flights, so you can get at least one landing per day, if not more. But of course, you'll take anything you can get, but just don't blow money on a TR without at least working out that if SJ go under, then what are your other options.