PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 15th Feb 2008, 06:46
Stoic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Common feature

Thanks NSEU

Quote:
Is there only one (common) fuel temperature sensor for the fuel to both engines?
I don't think you could call it "common"... The crew only know the temperature of the fuel in the left tank. Only God knows what the temperature is in the right and centre tanks On the 747-400, it is only known what the fuel temperature is in one of (up to) 9 tanks. Boeing, I'm sure did their tests and found that the left tank is always coldest. Whether this is true for an aircraft flying east to west (with the left wing in sunshine and the right wing in the shadow of the fuselage), I can't say... I don't know if this is negligible or not (compared to, say, ram air rise).
The 747-400 was therefore, as I recall, the same as the 747 Classic which I used to fly in the last century.

It appears, therefore, that if there were to be a failure or mal-function of the left tank fuel temperature sensor or gauge, both engines could be affected.

In an ETOPS aircraft, would it not be more sensible to have completely separate temperature monitoring systems for each fuel tank/engine system (disregarding the centre tank)?

Regards

Stoic