PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are we really going with the IMC rating?
Old 14th Feb 2008, 21:10
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can convince every pilot in the world. That is not going to make any difference.
Is the purpose of a regulator to be so removed from those they regulate as to take no account of their wishes?

If the Government says a new drug is to expensive, and yet the doctors tell the government the new drug will save many peoples' life to whom do we listen?

The idea is sound but the training, the legislation and the practical application are flawed - The UK CAA said that
When, where, who?

Your example works against your aims - a professionally trained former instrument rating holder using the IMC to avoid IR currency requirements while flying an aircraft probably not fully IFR equipped and operating in class G IFR probably with no ATS
We should not jump to conclusions. You dont know what avionics the aircraft had. I fly an aircraft that is fully IFR compliant and is also certified +6, -4. The pilot is fully IR current because he holds a valid IMC rating. He can do everything a IR holder can do with only two exceptions. In fact he is almost certainly more current and has a deal more experience than many pilots with an IR.

Furthermore, their reason for using the IMC seems to suggest that they need an IMC rating to operate simple VFR flights
I dont understand your statement?

I also dont understand the use of the world "simple".

The vast majoity of IFR flights I do in IMC are no more, nor any less simple than VFR flights - I try and prepare for each as methodically. I consider "simple" a relative term.

The IMC rating was dead and buried before Christmas.

It is alive and kicking for at least the next four years.

EASA would not grant a moratorium for that length during which NEW IMC ratings will be issued and then abolish the rating, at least not without an equivalent alternative (grand fathered or otherwise).

To do so would be a clear breach of natural justice on their part. If the IMC was going, it would have gone now and would never have been recognised by EASA.

Fortunately there are a lot of very experienced people in EASA who recognise a good thing when they see one and know the precedent they have set by adopting the rating for at least the next four years.

I would encourage anyone of thinking about doing an IMC rating that now is a better time than ever!

Readers should be quite clear that AOPA are clearly on record as fully supporting the expansion of the IMC rating through out Europe for which I congratulate them.

It has been suggested on here (by Bose) that AOPAs stance has very recently changed but I find no evidence that is so and no such admission by AOPA. I don’t believe, in spite of some criticisms expressed by me in the past, such a well respected organisation would change their policy without notification.

This is what their CEO says:

AOPA-U.K. Managing Director Martin Robinson has made this view known to EASA, asking that the rating be retained and expanded throughout the
European community. [my emphasis]

Good news indeed.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 14th Feb 2008 at 21:32.